Does your basement feel like the rain forest? Does it Smell Musty, Wet or Damp?
Chances are you’re growing mold!
Mold needs three things to grow:
- Temperature (warmth), and;
- An organic food source.
So, how do you prevent mold from growing?
Here’s a tip from the building science guru, Joseph Lstiburek’s, website: Building Science Corporation.
- If there’s dampness in the basement run a dehumidifier. Yes, that includes new, tightly constructed homes.
- Do not open basement windows – moist warm outside air will condense with the cool basement air.
- Don’t store anything on the basement floor, especially paper products. Elevate stored items on metal or plastic shelves to for allow air circulation. Store papers and cloth in plastic bins with tight lids.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clean. Divert rainwater away from the house.
That’s all for now. Stay dry!
Ps. Want to learn more? Check out: https://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm
Lou Sagatov, Realtor®